Mission San Antonio de Padua Retrofit
For California Missions Foundation
In 2012, the Hind Foundation granted $100,000 to the California Missions Foundation to help fund the retrofit of Mission San Antonio de Padua. California’s third mission, Mission San Antonio was established in 1771 by Father Serra. The Mission is located on eighty pristine acres on what was once the Milpitas unit of the sprawling Hearst Ranch, Mission San Antonio de Padua sits within the “Valley of the Oaks” on California’s scenic Central Coast. In 1986, the State of California enacted a law requiring local governments to inventory unreinforced masonry (URM) buildings (like the Mission), establish a URM loss reduction program and report progress to the state by 1990. In addition to needing earthquake retrofitting, Mission San Antonio requires modern updates and repairs to best serve the community and remain an open historical site for future generations to enjoy. To date, Mission San Antonio has completed a comprehensive historic structure report, which identified the immediate and long-term needs for the retrofit requirements and historic preservation.
The seismic restoration and restoration project will ensure that the Mission will be protected and preserved in its original form for future generations to enjoy.
|Area of Funding: Historical Landmark Restoration|
|Type of Funding: Standard Grant|
|Amount Funded: $100,000|
|Year Funded: 2012|
|Year Completed: 2012|
|About the Organization|
|California Missions Foundation|
|26555 Carmel Rancho Blvd|
|Carmel, CA 93923|
The Foundation is the only organization dedicated to the long-term preservation and restoration needs of all California missions and their associated historic and cultural resources for public benefit.