Mission Seismic Retrofit and Restoration
For Mission San Luis Rey
In 2009, the Hind Foundation granted $100,000 to Mission San Luis Rey to help seismically retrofit the Mission's 210 year old unreinforced buildings and to restore and ensure the historical integrity of the Mission’s original design. The Mission is the 18th of the 21 Spanish missions in California, and at its prime, its structures and services compound, along with its agricultural land grant property, covered almost 6 acres, making it one of the largest of the missions. Mission San Luis Rey continues to serve the surrounding community through its historic church, museum, cemetery, retreat center, and special cultural events.
• Historic Preservation
The seismic restoration and restoration project will ensure that the Mission will be protected and preserved in its original form for future generation to enjoy.
|Area of Funding: Historical Landmark Restoration|
|Type of Funding: Standard Grant|
|Amount Funded: $100,000|
|Year Funded: 2009|
|Year Completed: 2000|
|About the Organization|
|Mission San Luis Rey|
|4050 Mission Avenue|
|Oceanside, CA 92057|
Founded in 1798 by Padre Fermin Francisco de Lasuen, successor to Padre Junipero Serra, the Mission was named after St. Louis IX, King of France, who lived during the 13th century. The history of the San Luis Rey area reflects five periods of occupation: Luiseno Indian, Spanish Mission, Mexican Secularization, American Military, and Twentieth Century Restoration.