Sharing History with Rios-Caledonia Brochures
For Friends of the Adobes, Inc.
In 2014, the Hind Foundation granted $1,523.85 to Friends of the Adobes, Inc. to fund the printing of 20,000 color brochures to publicize the adobes and motivate more tourists and local citizens to the Friends of the Adobes’ North San Luis Obispo County adobe landmarks. The Friends of the Adobes, staffed solely by volunteer board members and docents, has been managing the historic Rios-Caledonia Adobe in San Miguel and the Estrella Adobe Church Paso Robles since 1968. Located on original San Miguel Mission property, the Rios-Caledonia Adobe was constructed by Petronillo Rios in 1835, using Indian labor, as a domicile for the local Major Domo. The Estrella Adobe Church was the first Protestant church in Northern San Luis Obispo County. Built in 1878 by early pioneers of the area, the church prospered for a few years before falling into disuse, finally crumbling into ruins. The church was restored by the History and Landmarks Committee of the Paso Robles Women's Club and rededicated in 1952.
• Sharing Stories
Throughout its rich history, the Adobe served a variety of purposes, including an inn and stagecoach stop, a tavern, multiple business establishments, a private home, and even an elementary school. Local legend says it provided a pit stop for outlaws Frank and Jesse James, the Dalton Brothers, and California bandido Joaquin Murrieta.
• Collaboration & Dedication
For publicity, the Friends have formerly used a simple black and white brochure copied on an old copy machine. The Vice President of the Friends of the Adobes, Inc. designed a new color brochure to better publicize the tourist attraction.
|Area of Funding: Historical Landmark Restoration|
|Type of Funding: Supplemental Grant|
|Amount Funded: $1,523|
|Year Funded: 2014|
|Year Completed: 2014|
|About the Organization|
|Friends of the Adobes, Inc.|
|P.O. Box 326|
|San Miguel, CA, CA 93451|
To bring together those persons interested in the history of Adobes, and especially in the history of northern San Luis Obispo County and southern Monterey County.